Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"No time to say hello, goodbye! I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!".

Sunrise reflected on the trees from our bedroom window

...as the White Rabbit sang in Disney's version of "Alice in Wonderland". Well, Tom and Jorg's version is much the same as the days fly by and we neglect the blog. A typical day starts around 5:30 am and finishes with us tucked up in bed by 10 pm. In between, Jorg does her day job, and I get stuck into the routine of horses in or out (we put the older ones out at night to avoid the sun, which has been giving us temperatures in the 90s), and feeding, and of course the milking. In addition, making sure the chickens and sheep are OK for food and water. We also have three house dogs (all rescues), two birds, and a cat to keep happy. Not that I am claiming special bragging rights, you understand: we have opted to have animals and they need to be cared for. On the plus side, I am probably as fit now as I have ever been, even in my far off rugby-playing days. My pedometer reckons I walk at least 3 miles a day, and there is a multitude of lifting in the 40 to 50 lb range - feed bags, bales of hay, poop buckets. I've manged to get under the 200lb weight barrier for the first time for several years, and if Bessie gets any more accurate when I'm milking I might even get my hair back from the application of cow poop! So all in all, not a bad life - a beautiful farm in sunny Southside Virginia, busy and fulfilled days, and a lovely wife and companion (and also my best friend), truly we live the good life. OK, I'll wipe that smug expression off my face and go and clean stalls!


Sunset from our back porch

No comments: